Swedish prosecutors have dropped the rape allegations on WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
Assange who has been embattled in a rape case since 2010 was announced free today (November 19) by the Swedish deputy director of public prosecutions, Eva-Marie Persson, at a press conference in Stockholm.
“My assessment is that all investigative measures that can be taken have been taken. But… the evidence is not strong enough to file an indictment,” deputy director of public prosecutions Eva-Marie Persson told reporters
The WikiLeaks founder was accused by a Swedish woman of sexually assaulting her in August 2010.
Assange has always debunked the claim.
Even though Persson admitted to finding the plaintiff’s claim “credible and reliable”, she held that statements from the supporting witness had been debilitated by the amount of time that had passed since the alleged incident.
“I would like to emphasize that the injured party has submitted a credible and reliable version of events. Her statements have been coherent, extensive and detailed; however, my overall assessment is that the evidential situation has been weakened to such an extent that there is no longer any reason to continue the investigation,” she said in a statement published by Sweden’s prosecution authority.
Since April 2019, Assange has been in detention at the top-security British prison after he was fished out by the police from the Ecuadoran embassy in London, where he had been hiding since 2012 after the court granted him bail concerning the 2010 rape allegation.
He was subjected to a 50 weeks jail term for going against bail conditions.
The Swedish authorities, however, reopened the 2010 rape investigation, which had been closed since 2017 because Assange was nowhere to be found.