South Africa has rendered an apology to Nigeria regarding the xenophobic attacks in Johannesburg earlier this month, which took the lives of 12 people.
Although no Nigerian was among those killed during the attack, most Nigerian owned businesses were destroyed by the mob.
During a meeting held in Abuja yesterday (September 16), Jeff Radebe, a special envoy and head of policy, monitoring and evaluation in the African National Congress, apologised to President Muhammadu Buhari.
Radebe who represented the President of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa said; “The incident does not represent what we stand for,” adding that the South African police is doing what it can to ensure that the perpetrators of the attack face justice.
President Buhari, however, thanked Rabede for coming to Nigeria to clarify the incident surrounding the xenophobic attack.
Last week he reassured those concerned that his government would continue to apply pressure on South African officials to take measures to stop the violence.
Buhari nonetheless maintained that the recurring issue of xenophobia and attacks on African nationals remains very worrisome. “If nothing is done to stop it, it could negatively affect the image and standing of South Africa as one of the leading countries in Africa. It has to be stopped”.
“On our own part let me reiterate that the Nigerian Government will continue to do everything possible to ensure the safety of the lives, property and business interests of Nigerians in South Africa, and of South Africans in Nigeria,” he said.
Also, according to a BBC report, about 200 individuals have been arrested in connection with the attacks.