"We Shouldn't Have"

Jussie Smollett's Alleged Co-Conspirators Express Their Regrets

by Jerry Chiemeke

"We Shouldn't Have"

The brothers who allegedly took part in what Chicago police say was a staged attack on actor Jussie Smollett are expressing "tremendous regret" for their involvement.

"They understand how it has impacted people across the nation, particularly minority communities and especially those who have been victims of hate crimes themselves," said Gloria Schmidt, an attorney for the brothers Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo.

Smollett reported in January that he had been attacked in Chicago in an incident that ended with a noose around his neck. Police initially investigated the case as a possible hate crime.

But now police allege that Smollett hired the Osundairo brothers and paid them $3,500 to stage the attack. Smollett faces a felony charge of disorderly conduct for falsely claiming he was attacked, police said.

Smollett is now out on a $10,000 bond and is due back in court March 14.

The brothers are cooperating fully with their investigation and are no longer suspects, Chicago police said. They were released without charges after being arrested last month.